World Languages & Cultures
The innovative Department of World Languages and Cultures immerses students in a multicultural, student-centered environment.
World Languages & Cultures are an integral part of Wittenberg's nationally recognized East Asian Studies Program and the International Studies Program. In addition, Wittenberg introduced a pioneering program in 2008 called Languages Across the Curriculum, which allowed the university to internationalize classes and academic programs across departments by providing new opportunities for Wittenberg students from all disciplines.
Our languages program has received recognition for its unique approach to teaching language across the curriculum. Using film, newspaper articles, political speeches and magazine articles as resources, students learn about culture as they study the language, gaining a greater language proficiency and a more profound cultural insight.
To bring a global perspective to important issues and concepts in other disciplines, Wittenberg offers the opportunity to study world language resources in almost every program on campus. Our graduates are better prepared to become global citizens, ready to face the challenges of an ever-expanding global market and community.
World Languages & Cultures in the News:
- Honor Chapter: Wittenberg University’s Lambda Lota Chapter of Sigma Delta Pi Earns National Award (published November 2, 2017)
- Dream Achieved: Scholarships Pave Way for Junior to Study Abroad in Japan (published October 11, 2017)
- Globalized World Prep: Wittenberg Welcomes This Year's Fulbright Foreign Langauge Teaching Assistants (November 18, 2016)
- Sharing the Spotlight: Professors Shelley Chan and Howard Choy Participate in Dialogue with 2012 Nobel Prize Winner (published October 9, 2016)
- Highest Ideals: Wittenberg's Lambda Iota Chapter of Sigma Delta Pi Has Been Recognized with the 2016 Phoenix Award (published September 9, 2016)
- Critical Language Scholarship: Wittenberg Student Selected for U.S. Department of State Critical Language Scholarship Program (published June 17, 2014)
- Wittenberg Goes Google: Student Ambassador Zach Cole '15 Helps Wittenberg Go Google (published January 27, 2014)